Enjoy Convenience and Great Results with Invisalign®
In the past, patients who wanted to straighten their teeth had only one choice: metal braces. Today, there is a far better option: orthodontic treatment with Invisalign®. Patients in the Chicago area can enjoy the many benefits of Invisalign®. Instead of metal brackets and wires, patients wear a series of clear aligners to gradually guide teeth into proper position. As a preferred provider of Invisalign®, Dr. Scott Emalfarb has experience treating patients with this revolutionary system. To learn more, contact our practice today.
The Newest Way to Straighten Teeth
Sometimes called “invisible braces,” Invisalign® is a system that uses a series of custom-molded, removable aligner trays to straighten teeth. The trays are made from smooth, comfortable plastic that fits snugly over teeth, and can be taken out when you eat, brush, and floss. Because they are clear and less than one millimeter thick, the trays are virtually invisible when you wear them.
Treatment with Invisalign®
To begin treatment, Dr. Emalfarb will take X-rays, pictures, and impressions of your teeth, which will be used to fabricate your aligners. Dr. Emalfarb can show you a virtual representation of how your teeth will move throughout your treatment. Approximately every two weeks, you wear a new aligner, which will advance you through the stages of treatment. For optimal results, you will be advised to wear the trays 20 to 22 hours a day. Treatment for adults takes approximately one year, although each case is unique.
Patients who have their adult teeth, are unhappy with the alignment of their teeth, and do not want to wear traditional metal braces may be a good candidates for Invisalign®. Just like braces, Invisalign® can effectively treat a wide variety of cases, including:
- Gapped teeth: Patients may have gapped teeth due to a large dental arch in relation to the size of the teeth, abnormal continued growth of the jawbone, or missing teeth that caused remaining teeth to shift.
- Overcrowding: Overcrowding occurs when the jaw can't accommodate all of the teeth.
- Overbite: When the upper jaw protrudes past the lower jaw, the patient has an overbite.
- Underbite: A patient has an underbite if the lower teeth protrude past the upper teeth.
- Open bite: If some teeth don't make physical contact with the opposing teeth, the patient has an open bite.
- Crossbite: Crossbite is caused when the upper and lower jaws are misaligned, and one or more upper teeth align inside of the lower teeth.
There are some instances, such as severe bite and alignment problems, in which Invisalign® may not be appropriate.
Invisalign® effectively moves the teeth into proper alignment. Left untreated, crooked teeth can lead to a variety of problems, including excessive tooth wear, gum disease, bone loss, joint problems, and pain.
Compared to traditional braces, Invisalign®:
- Is made from smooth, comfortable plastic instead of sharp metal
- Is virtually invisible
- Allows you to eat the foods you enjoy
- Lets you remove the trays when eating and cleaning the teeth
- Allows you to brush and floss teeth normally
- Can be combined with cosmetic treatments like teeth whitening and porcelain veneers for a custom smile makeover
Schedule a Consultation
We recommend Invisalign® because it is comfortable, convenient, and offers great results. Schedule a consultation to find out how Invisalign® can benefit you.