Posts for category: Orthodontics
Have you been considering orthodontic treatment? More than just a way of achieving a better-looking smile, braces offer several important benefits for both your oral and general health. Read on to learn how your Lakeview, IL, dentist, Dr. Scott Emalfarb, can help boost your dental health through the use of orthodontic treatment.
Orthodontic treatment advantages
An improved smile is the most visible benefit of orthodontics, but it's not the only one. Orthodontic treatment can also:
- Reduce Wear and Damage: If you have a bite problem, your upper and lower teeth don't fit together properly. Bite problems can erode your tooth enamel, crack your teeth, and increase your risk of future dental issues.
- Help You Avoid Cavities and Gum Disease: It's hard to remove every speck of plaque when your teeth are crooked or overlap. Cavity-causing plaque soon turns into tartar, a hard deposit that plays a role in gum disease. Straightening your teeth with orthodontic treatment makes cleaning plaque from your teeth much easier.
- Prevent Infections: The bacteria that causes gum disease can spread to other parts in your body, and may even cause heart disease or strokes. Infections are also possible if misaligned teeth cut your cheeks, lips, and tongues when you chew.
- Ease Headache Pain: A misaligned bite stresses your jaw and causes headaches. Once your teeth are straightened, you may notice that you have fewer headaches.
- Better Nutrition: You may not be able to chew certain foods easily if your teeth are aligned. Although avoiding these foods can be a solution in of itself, eliminating food groups from your diet can also lead to nutritional deficiencies that may raise your risk of illness. Correcting your bite problem helps you enjoy a variety of foods from all of the food groups.
- Decrease Upset Stomachs: You may not be able to chew foods thoroughly if you have a bite problem. Swallowing large pieces of food can delay digestion and cause an upset stomach. Once you begin orthodontic treatment at our Lakeview office, you may find that your gastrointestinal problems aren't an issue anymore.
- Improve TMJ Symptoms: A bite problem can cause temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ), a disorder that affects the hinge joints on both sides of the jaw. TMJ can cause jaw stiffness and pain, difficulty chewing, a popping or cracking sound when you open and close your mouth and temporary locking of your jaw. Realigning your teeth can ease your painful symptoms.
Interested? Give us a call
Transform your smile with orthodontics! Call your Lakeview, IL, dentist, Dr. Scott Emalfarb, at (773) 472-6322, to schedule your appointment.
Orthodontic treatment offers many benefits, from straightening your smile to properly aligning your bite. Several different types of orthodontic treatments are available and a dentist can help determine which treatment is right for you. At Lake View Dental Associates, Dr. Scott Emalfarb is your dentist for orthodontics in the Lakeview, Chicago area.
Types of Orthodontic Treatment
One of the most common orthodontic treatments is braces. Braces can be used to straighten crooked teeth, close gaps between teeth, realign an asymmetrical jaw, and correct overbites, underbites, and crossbites. There are three main types of braces: metal, ceramic, and lingual. All three types of braces utilized brackets and wires to move the teeth and realign the bite. The brackets are placed on the front of the teeth with metal and ceramic braces. Lingual braces are more discreet as the brackets are placed on the backs of the teeth.
Another popular type of orthodontic treatment is Invisalign. Invisalign can also be used to straighten crooked teeth and close small gaps. However, braces are best for correcting bite and alignment problems. Invisalign utilizes aligner trays that fit over the top and bottom rows of teeth and gently move the teeth into the desired position over time. The trays are removable, which makes brushing and flossing easier than with braces. Your dentist for orthodontics in Lakeview can tell you if Invisalign would work for you or if braces are best.
Benefits of Orthodontic Treatment
There are many benefits to undergoing orthodontic treatment. Orthodontics can address a wide range of aesthetic and orthodontic concerns. Problems with spacing, tooth positioning, and alignment of the teeth or jaw can all be corrected through orthodontic treatment. Orthodontics can help you achieve the smile you desire, as well as improve tooth and jaw functioning and alignment. When the bite is not aligned properly, tension and discomfort in the jaw area can result. Headaches are not uncommon either. Correcting alignment can alleviate these problems.
Orthodontics can even make it easier to maintain good oral hygiene. Teeth that are crooked or overlapping provide places for bacteria to hide easier and make it more difficult to thoroughly brush and floss in those areas. By correcting problems with spacing, crowding, and alignment, there are fewer places for bacteria to become trapped and hide. Additionally, brushing and flossing can be more effective.
Your dentist can help determine which orthodontic treatment is right for you based on your specific orthodontic needs. For orthodontics in Lakeview, IL, schedule an appointment with Dr. Emalfarb by calling Lake View Dental Associates at (773) 472-6322.
Though in the past they were often looked at as a teenage rite of passage, braces have evolved into a more flexible, versatile treatment for patients of many ages. With various types of braces to choose from, you and your orthodontist can work together to find the best course of treatment for you and your teeth. Find out more about orthodontics and how they can help your smile with Dr. Scott Emalfarb at Lakeview Dental Associates in Chicago, IL.
- Traditional Metal Braces: Traditional braces use metal brackets and wires to move the teeth to their new positions.
- Ceramic Braces: Ceramic braces use tooth-colored brackets and wires for a subtler look.
- Invisalign: Invisalign uses plastic aligner trays to move the teeth into their new positions. Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign goes virtually unnoticed, blending into your smile to give you a natural look.
How does orthodontic care work?
Prior to your treatment, your dentist will map out a route on which your teeth will move. Regardless of the type of braces you choose, they will use gentle but steady pressure to move the teeth along the predetermined route until they reach their final positions. In addition to straightening the teeth, orthodontic care can also move the jaw to correct bite issues.
Am I a good candidate for braces?
Dentists recommend braces for patients over the age of 12 as younger patients have still-growing jaws which could hinder treatment. However, in some cases, early intervention may take advantage of a growing jaw. A good candidate for braces also has a strong at-home oral care routine consisting of brushing twice a day and flossing between each tooth at least once.
Orthodontics in Chicago, IL
If you think you can benefit from orthodontic treatment, you should consult with your dentist at Lakeview Dental Associates to ensure that this is the best course of treatment for you and your smile. In some cases, other procedures may be better suited to your needs.
For more information on orthodontics, please contact Dr. Scott Emalfarb at Lakeview Dental Associates in Chicago, IL. Call (773) 472-6322 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Emalfarb today!
There is a discreet way to straighten your teeth without the look of metal brackets and wires. Invisalign is an innovative method for straightening the teeth with soft plastic trays instead of the hard metal brackets associated with traditional braces. Invisalign trays are both clear and removable making Invisalign one of the most discreet methods for straightening teeth. At Lake View Dental Associates, Dr. Scott Emalfarb is your dentist for Invisalign in Lakeview, IL.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an innovative and discreet method for straightening teeth. Instead of bracket and wires, Invisalign gently moves the teeth into the desired position using soft aligner trays. One tray is worn over the top arch of teeth, and another is worn over the bottom. The trays are custom made for each patient’s teeth and a new set of trays are provided every few weeks. Each new set helps the teeth continue moving into the desired position. The trays are made from a flexible plastic material and can be removed when eating or to brush and floss.
Advantages of Invisalign
Invisalign offers several advantages over other teeth straightening options. The soft aligner trays are comfortable to wear and will not irritate the mouth or gums, as can happen with braces as the hard brackets and wires can poke the mouth. Another advantage of Invisalign is that the trays are removable so brushing and flossing are easier than with braces. Your Lakeview dentist for Invisalign can help you decide if it is the right teeth straightening option for you. The advantages of Invisalign include:
- Discreet — Since the trays are clear, they are barely noticeable to others.
- Removable — The trays can be removed as needed, such as when eating, brushing, or flossing, or for photo opportunities.
- Comfortable — The trays are made from a flexible plastic material that is soft and comfortable to wear.
- Better Oral Hygiene — Since the trays are removable, the teeth can be thoroughly cleaned more easily than with braces.
- Protect Against Teeth Grinding — The trays provide protection against the wear and tear of teeth grinding or clenching.
Straighten your teeth discreetly with Invisalign. The clear trays are virtually unnoticeable to others and can be removed when needed. For Invisalign, schedule an appointment with Dr. Emalfarb by calling Lake View Dental Associates in Chicago, IL at (773) 472-6322.