Have you been considering orthodontic treatment? More than just a way of achieving a better-looking smile, braces offer several important benefits for both your oral and general health. Read on to learn how your Lakeview, IL, dentist, Dr. Scott Emalfarb, can help boost your dental health through the use of orthodontic treatment.
Orthodontic treatment advantages
An improved smile is the most visible benefit of orthodontics, but it's not the only one. Orthodontic treatment can also:
- Reduce Wear and Damage: If you have a bite problem, your upper and lower teeth don't fit together properly. Bite problems can erode your tooth enamel, crack your teeth, and increase your risk of future dental issues.
- Help You Avoid Cavities and Gum Disease: It's hard to remove every speck of plaque when your teeth are crooked or overlap. Cavity-causing plaque soon turns into tartar, a hard deposit that plays a role in gum disease. Straightening your teeth with orthodontic treatment makes cleaning plaque from your teeth much easier.
- Prevent Infections: The bacteria that causes gum disease can spread to other parts in your body, and may even cause heart disease or strokes. Infections are also possible if misaligned teeth cut your cheeks, lips, and tongues when you chew.
- Ease Headache Pain: A misaligned bite stresses your jaw and causes headaches. Once your teeth are straightened, you may notice that you have fewer headaches.
- Better Nutrition: You may not be able to chew certain foods easily if your teeth are aligned. Although avoiding these foods can be a solution in of itself, eliminating food groups from your diet can also lead to nutritional deficiencies that may raise your risk of illness. Correcting your bite problem helps you enjoy a variety of foods from all of the food groups.
- Decrease Upset Stomachs: You may not be able to chew foods thoroughly if you have a bite problem. Swallowing large pieces of food can delay digestion and cause an upset stomach. Once you begin orthodontic treatment at our Lakeview office, you may find that your gastrointestinal problems aren't an issue anymore.
- Improve TMJ Symptoms: A bite problem can cause temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ), a disorder that affects the hinge joints on both sides of the jaw. TMJ can cause jaw stiffness and pain, difficulty chewing, a popping or cracking sound when you open and close your mouth and temporary locking of your jaw. Realigning your teeth can ease your painful symptoms.
Interested? Give us a call
Transform your smile with orthodontics! Call your Lakeview, IL, dentist, Dr. Scott Emalfarb, at (773) 472-6322, to schedule your appointment.