Repair and Protect Your Smile with Tooth-colored Dental Fillings
A dental filling can repair a tooth following treatment for mild decay or trauma. Tooth-colored dental fillings provide a natural-looking solution, while preventing further damage to the tooth. If you have a cavity, Dr. Scott A. Emalfarb offers dental fillings at his Chicago, IL, practice to provide support as well as aesthetics. To learn more about how tooth-colored dental fillings can benefit you, contact us today.
Placing Your Dental Filling
Having a tooth filled is a simple process and can usually be completed in a single visit. Dr. Emalfarb will first administer local anesthetic around the treatment area to ensure that your procedure is comfortable. Next, he removes decay from the tooth. Once the decay is completely eliminated, the cavity will be thoroughly cleaned to ensure no bacteria or debris remain.
Dr. Emalfarb will select a shade of filling that most closely matches your tooth color. Before applying the filling, he will treat the tooth with an acid solution. This process, known as etching, roughens the surface to improve the bond with the resin. The dental filling is applied in layers, formed to the desired shape, and cured with a special light. Finally, Dr. Emalfarb will make any refinements necessary to create a smooth, natural-looking surface.
Benefits of Tooth-colored Fillings
Many materials can be used to fill cavities, including gold, silver amalgam, ceramic, and porcelain. However, tooth-colored resin has become the standard because it:
- Is mercury-free: While traditional silver amalgam fillings contain only trace amounts of mercury that have never been proven to be harmful, some patients are concerned about the potential side effects. Composite bonding material contains no mercury.
- Is compatible with your teeth: Because metal fillings expand or contract with changes in temperature, they can cause damage to tooth structure. Composite resin is virtually unaffected by heat and cold, and can even help strengthen your teeth.
- Does not cause allergies: Allergic reactions to amalgam fillings are rare, but can cause uncomfortable itching and rashes. There are no known allergies related to composite fillings.
- Provides an aesthetic improvement: While metal fillings will stand out in your smile, composite resin material blends in seamlessly with your smile.
- Is a conservative treatment: We will not need to remove as much of the natural structure of your tooth for a composite filling as we do for an amalgam filling.
Dr. Emalfarb favors Kerr™ composite resin because it not only provides all the benefits patients expect from a tooth-colored filling, but also minimizes the risk of tooth sensitivity after your procedure.
Contact Us for More Information
Dr. Emalfarb is a lifelong Chicagoan with more than 20 years of experience in dentistry. He is passionate about helping patients achieve and maintain a healthy and beautiful smile. At the heart of his philosophy is a commitment to patient satisfaction and quality care. We treat all of our patients as an extension of our own family, while maintaining a high level of professionalism. To learn more about how tooth-colored dental fillings can repair your teeth, prevent further damage, and maintain a natural-looking smile, schedule an appointment today.